Homebuilt Woodie too Sweet to be a Rat

Not a Rat Rod Custom Woodie

Rat rod, woody, hot rods
Story submitted by MyRideisMe.com member: Woodbutcher
This project started out as a 32 chevy woody pedal carI built for my daughter, she put it in two local shows and won 2 1st’s. Took it to goodguys KC and won “Best Bitch’n” pedal car. So why not build me one? Mine started as 2 1/2 ton dual wheel flatbed truck. I bought the cowl for $85.00 took a pile of parts in the shop, and came up with a plan. I took the pile of part’s and a concept to Matt Schroeder of Newton KS.
He built a all custom 100 inch chassis with 20″ kick up in rear, front axle over frame 10 bolt posi with stock trailing arms and direct port air bags in rear. I got the chassis back and my work began. I ran all brake lines installed 305 with vintage offenhauser intake /edelbrock 600 carb, chrome Sanderson shorty headers. (Matt also fabed a full exhaust with tail pipes) and it doesn’t need any more then that. It’s all backed by a flip-o-matic turbo 350 trans.

Hot Rod woodie, rat rod, custom cars


After I had the drive train put in 70% of the work buy me the other 30% buy friends who stopped by to see what was going on with wiring done by my buddy Jim Allen. Then I started the body, started with the floor 3/4 maple plywood, and had Matt make a steel tunnel for me I did all install cut to fit with copper strapping. Then I started with the rear quarters first one took about 3 hours, then the roof after that, the doors and the hatch. In total I have about 40 hours in the boby build. (Can you tell I’m a custom trim carpenter and furniture maker?)


Then came the sanding and finish of the wood. That took the longest. I had my 3year old daughter Mercedes and wife Julie (8 month’s pregnant) sanding. Stile and rails are spanish cedar and panels curly birdseye maple and dash has over a 150 pieces of wood in it. Finish is a two part mix by me with spar urethane satin. I hope this is a good base to work with. If anymore wants info please ask. This car was all built in home garages and cheap for what it is. Let’s just say it’s about 3.5k less then 10.

rat rod, hot rods, rat rod pictures


Next on the agenda is to tie up loose ends on my other hot rods and get my wife’s 67 corvair painted. I would like to do a 38 Ford cab over on a 66 Old’s Toro chassis and and do a box truck back done in wood on the inside to work out of and showcase my work. Scott Fisk did a rendering on my car and I’m using it as a guide for my next pedal car for my son Mason (9 months) It’s called “hopped up on goof balls”. Doug DoRr also did a painting of the car. Dennis McPhail just gave me a wood painted shift knob for it and Doug Carr (wooden carr) sent me an email saying I was, “ahead of the pack” on this one. He has never seen a rat rod woody. Gene Winfield stopped me at KKOA to take a picture. It sure is an honor to have those guys give me their two cents, even somthing as simple as a picture.


In closing the thing I love the most about this car is It’s like a set of boobs… you take it out in public someone is going to touch it. I don’t mind! it is a hands on type, touch- e-feel-e kinda car. Get in take a seat, try it on for size but I’ll keep the keys! rod on, Jeff


TJ Photography did the model shoot set up by Trent Sherrill.

Join MyRideisMe.com and get your own Custom Garage Space (that one’s mine!) to put pictures of your car, project or whatever you’re driving!