Location: Oroville, CA, USA
Joined: 03/13/2014
My Styles
Build-It, Drive-It
views: 18819
My Crew 1
Garage | Rides | Pictures | Blog | Crew | Favorite Rides

Registering Rods in California

March 16, 2014

You all know when it comes to building "special construction" cars the pain in the rear part is registering and getting a VIN assigned. The 37 Ford cab I own doesn't have a VIN because it was on the frame of the truck. I can buy a frame with the VIN on it and modify it ect. But I have a bill of sale for the cab and want to build my own frame. Something I can look at and say, yeah I did that.

I'm hoping I will be able to get into the special 500 alotted slots here in California where I dont have to get my car smogged. Even then its still a pain in the rear because I'll have to take it to a BAR referee anyways if I get the SB100 slot, so that's why I'm trying to get a engine that's a '65 or older model year. Easier that way.

 Anyone who reads this maybe can give me some input or let me know what you think of the whole ordeal. I think this smog crap is good don't get me wrong, but somethings a little out of hand and we car nuts just want to build our own rods and have fun you know. Turning junk into something cool.


Only registered members can leave comments
March 17, 2014 11:37
I don't think you're the only one frustrated about getting a classic car or hot rod registered in California. I've heard about the 500 slots California gives out and I heard they're gone very very soon after they're available. There should be a bunch of advice out there... certainly something better than what I can give. You might want to reach out to Vintage Hot Rod Design and Fabrication (http://vhrcustoms.com/). They're in Chico, not far from you. I don't know them personally, but we've talked and they're Bonneville Salt Flats racers, so they're good people!
Good luck!